facebook

Reinstalling SpringIDE for MyEclipse – AJDT support

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

tzundel

Hello,

MyEclipse keeps installing the same version of the same software over and over and over again.

The software in question is “SpringIDE for MyEclipse – AJDT support”, Version 7.0.0

I have already installed this many times (perhaps 8-10).

There was a previous thread started by another user, I contributed to that thread… The thread title was: ” Dashboard keeps asking to install the same software ” Its available at:
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/dashboard-keeps-asking-to-install-the-same-software-2/&highlight=

(NOTE: That thread is locked, which is why I’m posing here).

More details:

1) This software is already installed: its listed in the bottom list of the dashboard: It has an “uninstall” button which I could choose to press.

2) It doesn’t ask to install ‘every’ time I start MyEclipse… I would estimate it asks every 3rd day.

3) It doesn’t seem to matter if I install it or not. In a couple of days, it asks again.

4) When I do choose to install it, it seems to install okay. I have no errors, and the next time MyEclipse boots, the software is listed as installed (But not listed in the “update” list)

To restate #4. The SpringIDE for MyEclipse – AJDT support is *ALWAYS* listed in the bottom list (with an uninstall button). The same version is listed in the “top” list of the dashboard… When I install it again, it disappears from the top list, but remains in the bottom list.

5) I can sent you another screenshot from this morning (the last time this has happened), but it looks the same as the one I sent you in the referenced thread above.

6) I did update to the newest version, and have installed the “pulse” update. (As a matter of fact, I was sort of waiting for the Pulse update to see if it would ‘fix’ this issue), it doesn’t: Here are the details

——————————————————————–
    *** Date:
    Monday, February 9, 2009 10:29:33 AM MST

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1.0
    Java version=1.5.0_11

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 7.0
    Build id: 7.0-20081201

*** Eclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 7.0
    Build id: 7.0-20081201

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.4.1.r341_v20080731-9I96EiDElYevwz-p1bP5z-NlAaP7vtX6Utotqsu
    Build id: M20080911-1700

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Version: 3.4.1.r341_v20080709-0800-7o7tEAfEF_U5qyUgrb2HAp539P97
    Build id: M20080709-0800

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework GEF

Version: 3.4.1.v20080806-67718083A56B4H2A3213573
    Build id: 200809101400

Eclipse RCP

Version: 3.4.100.r341_v20080814-989JESIEdAciFYfkZZsBfSwQ2341
    Build id: M20080703-0800

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Version: 3.4.1.r341_v20080731-7T7U0E9mlRIuGUYviF_VP
    Build id: M20080703-0800

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -showsplash
    -launcher
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\myeclipse.exe
    -name
    Myeclipse
    –launcher.library
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\../Common\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.101.R34x_v20080731\eclipse_1115.dll
    -startup
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\../Common\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.101.R34x_v20080819.jar
    -clean
    -configuration
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\configuration
    -vm
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\Common\binary\com.sun.java.jre.win32.x86_1.5.0.011\bin\client\jvm.dll
    ——————————————————————–

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,

Tory

#294622 Reply

support-joy

Hello Tory,

I have raised this issue to the dev team. They are currently looking into this. In the interim, please go through the below mentioned steps as a workaround (I’ve tried this at my end, and it works. Let me know if this works for you).

1. Click on Help -> Sofware Updates -> Manage in Pulse Explorer… (as shown in ManageInPulseExplorer.gif). This will open Pulse Explorer (might take few minutes to launch Pulse).
    2. Close ME7.0
    3. From pulse explorer(left hand menu), click on My Profiles -> ME 7.0. Right click on MyEclipse 7.0, from the context menu click on [Run].
    4. Pulse automatically checks for updates and installs them along with any dependencies.
    After updates are installed, pulse will prompt you to launch ME 7.0 as shown in LaunchME7.gif
    5. click on [Launch]
    6. ME7.0 checks for new software updates. At this point it will open ME Dashboard, as shown in MEDashboard.gif

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #294631 Reply

tzundel

Hi support-joy,

Thanks for the response: However, I’m a bit confused. What is this workaround going to do for me? It already checks for updates (through pulse, I believe) when I launch MyEclipse… Sometimes (perhaps every other or every third day) it asks me to reinstall the same version of the same software that I already have. (Yes: that’s just a restatement of the ‘problem’)

So, what is this workaround going to do?

1) Successfully install it? (I think thats already done… Over and over)

2) Just show that it has been installed on the next boot, and not ask for it to reinstall? (It already does that 1/2 to 2/3 of the time)

3) Something else…

I guess I’m asking because

1) I hate to do a workaround that I don’t understand, especially when I can hobble along with my current situation… I have a worry that doing things outside of MyEclipse might hose things up.

2) If I understand things correctly… Isn’t this exactly what MyEclipse is supposed to be doing behind the scenes? Doesn’t it “leverage” pulse?

Please let me know… I’m happy to try the workaround if I understand what it is supposed to do for me.

Thanks,

Tory

#294632 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Tory,

The dashboard is actually prompting you to install an update for AJDT, the Spring team seems to release them quite often. As you noticed the feature itself is already installed, so those are just updates that are getting picked up.

Also the updates shouldn’t be shown on every single restart, we’ve all tested this internally, and while we see them *frequently*, none of us have been able to reproduce seeing them on every single restart — seems to suggest that the Spring team is just releasing updates that often for them.

#294634 Reply

tzundel

Hi support-rkalla,

Thanks for the quick response:

First: You’re right, its not every time… As my original post said: I would estimate its every 3rd day…

Second: Its always the same version 7.0.0… are you telling me that it is actually installing legitimate updates, but these updates never change the version number? (Its still 7.0.0) I guess if that’s whats happening, that’s fine (if a bit unusual).

If its installing legitimate ‘patches’, but not incrementing version numbers, then I guess its an *almost* non-issue…

If this is whats happening, then I guess the only issue would be an improvement to MyEclipse to let you know that it really is a patch… Isn’t there a build number? File size? File date? Checksum? Something that can be displayed to let us know that the ‘new’ version is different than the ‘already installed’ version?

Please let me know if I’m understanding you correctly…

Thanks,

Tory

#294680 Reply

tzundel

HI,

So, do we have a bug here or not? I *THINK* what I’m understanding is that these are legitimate updates (so, I should install them each time). For some reason it is still 7.0.0.

Okay, so (as I said in my previous post), If thats whats happening, thats fine. It would just be nice to know for sure.

Also, if that is whats happening, can we have a feature request to show *SOMETHING* (see my post for ideas)

Tory

#294707 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Second: Its always the same version 7.0.0… are you telling me that it is actually installing legitimate updates, but these updates never change the version number? (Its still 7.0.0) I guess if that’s whats happening, that’s fine (if a bit unusual).

The tricky part is that the qualifier can change to indicate a daily build — so you can have 7.0.0.20090202 and then the next day 7.0.0.20090203 and Pulse would see that as an update.

If this is whats happening, then I guess the only issue would be an improvement to MyEclipse to let you know that it really is a patch… Isn’t there a build number? File size? File date? Checksum? Something that can be displayed to let us know that the ‘new’ version is different than the ‘already installed’ version?

Absolutely, and these are all the things Pulse checks and uses to verify it — it just doesn’t show the qualifier in the view because it can sometimes be a huge messy number and be more confusing than helpful.

#294715 Reply

tzundel

Hi Riyad,

Thanks for the update. Okay, makes sense, I’m happy… However, I disagree that the “big messy number” is more confusing than helpful To me, its confusing to reinstall the “exact same software” (at least according to the information displayed) over and over again.

Tory

#294876 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Good pt… I’ll see if we can open this up to not be so secretive.

#294962 Reply

Douglas M Hurst
    Participant

I couldn’t agree more with tzundel. SHOW THE NUMBERS. Show them in the already installed where you’re asked if you want to uninstall and show them in the ready to install when you’re prompted to install updates.

#295883 Reply

Hobi

@support-joy wrote:

Hello Tory,

I have raised this issue to the dev team. They are currently looking into this. In the interim, please go through the below mentioned steps as a workaround (I’ve tried this at my end, and it works. Let me know if this works for you).

1. Click on Help -> Sofware Updates -> Manage in Pulse Explorer… (as shown in ManageInPulseExplorer.gif). This will open Pulse Explorer (might take few minutes to launch Pulse).
    2. Close ME7.0
    3. From pulse explorer(left hand menu), click on My Profiles -> ME 7.0. Right click on MyEclipse 7.0, from the context menu click on [Run].
    4. Pulse automatically checks for updates and installs them along with any dependencies.
    After updates are installed, pulse will prompt you to launch ME 7.0 as shown in LaunchME7.gif
    5. click on [Launch]
    6. ME7.0 checks for new software updates. At this point it will open ME Dashboard, as shown in MEDashboard.gif

————————————————–
    This Spring AJDT is driving me nuts. I have downloaded ME 7.1, still problem exist.

Category org.eclipse.ajdt.ui.cat not found for view org.eclipse.contribution.xref.ui.views.XReferenceView. This view added to ‘Other’ category.

Category org.eclipse.ajdt.ui.cat not found for view org.eclipse.contribution.xref.ui.views.XReferenceView. This view added to ‘Other’ category.

eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.version=1.5.0_11
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -clean -clean

How long do we have to wait to get the patch? I have tried your trick, it did not do a thing. Please advise.
    Hobi
    March 12, 2009

#295946 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Guys, this isn’t really a problem, the Spring team just updates this plugin often — so you get the updates displayed for you in the dashboard. I’d suggest either ignoring them, turning off the dashboard (don’t forget to check for updates regularly though incase *we* release a patch) or just uninstalling AJDT so the updates aren’t shown to you anymore.

Also, we played with the idea of showing the qualifiers in 7.1 and unfortunately it was a mess in the UI, something like “7.1.1” because “7.1.1.zmyeclipse2009031016” and just blew out the UI so the management team nixed it.

We are working on a better central plugin management interface that will come up on startup, most likely come in 7.5 or so.

#296240 Reply

Hobi

I went to MyEclipse -> Manage MyEclipse plugin to open up the Dashboard and then uninstalled AJTD, but I still see the same error and also there is a red x mark next to my project.

Please advise.
    Hobi

#296241 Reply

Hobi

GOOD NEWS: I was able to got rid off AJDT junk. Here is how. Uninstalled MyEclipse 7.1 completely (I did not have to delete the repository) and downloaded MyEclipse 6.6. I had enough with MyEclipse 7.1
    Make sure turn off ‘Automatic Updates’ under Windows –> Preferences –> Install/Update
    Thanks
    Hobi

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Reinstalling SpringIDE for MyEclipse – AJDT support

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in