Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
substring



Joined: Jul 03, 2003
Posts: 26

First of all, thank you very much for the quick response to my post on Eclipse Plugins Comments.

Please allow me to ask a few more questions:

1. Currently, I am using Eclipse 2.1 for some production applications. Will the installation of MyEclipse EW affect the configuration of my existing Eclipse? In another word, if by any chance, I decide not to purchase MyEclipse after the evaluation, will I have to reinstall Eclipse 2.1? Along the same line, does the installation change any other configuration/environment at all (e.g. my current JBoss set up)?

2. Scott has mentioned in his reply to my post on Eclipse Plugins Comments that there are documentation available on this web site that can walk me thru on how things work. Are those documentation only viewable after I subscribed? I don't seem to be able to find them on your web site.

3. What is the difference between GA and EA version? and what do they stand for?

Thank you very much for your help.

simon.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
support-scott
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: May 06, 2003
Posts: 6761

Simon,

Thanks for taking my invitation to give us a try. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Quote:

Will the installation of MyEclipse EW affect the configuration of my existing Eclipse?


This one can be found in our FAQ at: http://myeclipseide.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=4&categories=Installation+and+Configuration&parent_id=0#52

Don't feel bad that you missed it. I just added it a minute ago because the question was such a good one. :-)

Quote:

Along the same line, does the installation change any other configuration/environment at all (e.g. my current JBoss set up)?


I'm not sure what you mean by your JBoss setup. If you mean do we muck around with your external JBoss configuration files, the answer is absolutely not. If you mean your configuration within Eclipse, and you're currently using some other product to integrate in JBoss, then I need more details about what you're using.

Quote:

Scott has mentioned in his reply to my post on Eclipse Plugins Comments that there are documentation available on this web site that can walk me thru on how things work. Are those documentation only viewable after I subscribed? I don't seem to be able to find them on your web site.


Docuementation remains a bear to find. There's a post in the Documentation forum that points you to it directly, but here it is again for convenience: http://myeclipseide.com/enterpriseworkbench/help/index.jsp

Quote:

3. What is the difference between GA and EA version? and what do they stand for?


I should really put this one in the FAQ too. EA stands for "early adopters" and GA stands for "general availability". The EA releases were our way of getting feedback and warning users that the product wasn't complete yet. The GA release is the first commercial release and should be treated a finished product, ready for production.

--Scott
MyEclipse Support

_________________
--Scott
MyEclipse Support
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
substring



Joined: Jul 03, 2003
Posts: 26

Quote:
Thanks for taking my invitation to give us a try.


Actually, I found out about MyEclipse earlier this month and posted a question on the Random Thoughts. I got 2 excellent replies. :D Then I went on to check out different tools. Now I come back to MyEclipse.

Quote:
you're currently using some other product to integrate in JBoss, then I need more details about what you're using.


Our Java development is still in its infancy, so currently I have just one production web application running on jboss-3.2.1_tomcat-4.1.24 bundle thru the Lomboz plugin. I am just wondering if the MyEclipse installation will interfere with Lomboz? It probably won't, but I just want to make sure.

Also, I noticed on your documentation that MyEclipse works with Tomcat 5. So does it work with Tomcat 4.1.24 as well?

Quote:
There's a post in the Documentation forum that points you to it directly, but here it is again for convenience: http://myeclipseide.com/enterpriseworkb ... /index.jsp

The documentation is good. However, the example is still just a HelloWorld. I am hoping to have something like the dotPet sample project that is provided by the SalmonLLC/SOFIA group.

Last but not least, does MyEclipse support MySQL database? I did not see that on the list. Currently, the databases used in our company are Oracle 8i & 9i, MS SQL Server, Sybase (which is going away), and MySQL (for small web projects).

Thank you very much for your help.

simon.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
support-scott
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: May 06, 2003
Posts: 6761

Simon,

Quote:

web application running on jboss-3.2.1_tomcat-4.1.24 bundle thru the Lomboz plugin. I am just wondering if the MyEclipse installation will interfere with Lomboz?


We have full support for JBoss 3. You certainly don't need any of the Lomboz functionality with MyEclipse, but we do not test for compatibility so some issues may arise if you attempt to install both. To try MyEclipse out, I'd suggest that you install a clean instance of Eclipse 2.1.1 and then install MyEclipse on top of it. Copy over your projects to the new workspace and import them. You will have to reconfigure you JBoss settings using our connector, but then you should be good to go. This way, you don't run the risk of any conflicts and can easily try both environments side by side. Please don't install MyEclipse on an Eclipse installation that has Lomboz installed as we can't assure compatability and it will definately lead to user confusion regarding which features come from which product.

Quote:

Also, I noticed on your documentation that MyEclipse works with Tomcat 5. So does it work with Tomcat 4.1.24 as well?

Yes, it works with Tomcat 4 also. We like Tomcat 5 because it supports JSR-045 so we can provide source level JSP debugging with it. It's just a bit nicer in this regard for development.

Quote:

The documentation is good.

Thanks. I think that's the first compliment on it we've had and I know the doc team has been working hard to get it up to date.

Quote:

However, the example is still just a HelloWorld.

That's true. In the documentation we're trying to illustrate the concepts of MyEclipse so starting with a simple project drops the complexity down so our users can absorb the key points quickly. We'll be providing other example projects for download, of increasing complexity, in the future. Unfortunately, building examples takes time away from development so we have to balance this carefully.

Quote:

Last but not least, does MyEclipse support MySQL database?

You can use whatever database you like. We're completely neutral on that. It's up to you and how you want to build your application.

Quote:

Thank you very much for your help.

You're certainly welcome. We think good support is mandatory with any real product. Unfortunately, we seem to be almost alone in that regard. ;-)

--Scott
MyEclipse Support

_________________
--Scott
MyEclipse Support
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
substring



Joined: Jul 03, 2003
Posts: 26

Quote:
We think good support is mandatory with any real product. Unfortunately, we seem to be almost alone in that regard. ;-)

That is one of the main reasons why I come back to MyEclipse. IMHO, support is "king." If the support is bad or non-exist, I would care less if your software can fly.

Well, I am going to download the trial software either later today or tomorrow, depends on how soon I can get my computer ready. I am using two P4 computers for development and all Java stuffs are on computer 1. That means I can install a clean environment on computer 2. The problem is that my 2 hard drives in computer 2 are quite full. I need to clear up some space first.

I will let you know how things go. Thank you very much.

simon.
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
support-scott
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: May 06, 2003
Posts: 6761

Simon,

Quote:

That is one of the main reasons why I come back to MyEclipse.
IMHO, support is "king."


We agree. You need somewhere to go when not everything is going well and you've got a deadline looming. This is the place.

Quote:

I need to clear up some space first.


Sounds like my machine. I actually have every single app server and version we support installed. I'm constantly running out of space too.

Quote:

I will let you know how things go. Thank you very much.

You're very welcome. Let us know what we need to do to earn your business.

--Scott
MyEclipse Support

_________________
--Scott
MyEclipse Support
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
® 2014 - Genuitec, LLC.