Poll
Would development be streamlined if MyEclipse offered NetBeans Platform Application support
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

tog

Hello everybody!

First and foremost to all holy war guys out there: This is a seriously meant feature request and a seriously meant starting point for a discussion. This is not about who belongs to which world and this is not about ideological blindfolds. This is about bridging worlds. Therefore I really ask you to stay away and to not mess arround here.

To all the open minded ones out there: You are welcome to share your thoughts and I would be very glad if you did so :-)

******* The Context

I guess all of you have observed the ongoing acquisition of SUN finally now being bought by Oracle. This is to me a very interesting situtation. Currently Oracle declares a strong commitment regarding the SUN portfolio, especially when it comes to developer tools. So for the moment we end up with JDeveloper, OEPE and NetBeans. In his webcast Ted Farrell even especially mentioned Oracle's awareness of the importance of the NetBeans Platform.

Interesting: Oracle a strategic member of the Eclipse foundation stresses the importance of the NetBeans Platform.

Question: Could that be the tipping point when two worlds which could not be further apart for a long time are actually beginning to grow together - The two worlds obviously being Eclipse on the one side and NetBeans on the other.

Just for the moment assume the above question to be answered with YES.

So from this point on the hardest work is actually already done ;-)

******* The Problem

Some time ago I decided to port our long, long internally used trashy VBA applications to a solid JAVA solution. This cries for rich client and it cries for modularity. What I do not consider sensible is write all of this stuff myself. Consequently I want to take advantage of a rich client platform. Further a requirement will be the usage of the Swing UI toolkit.

So now the situation I am faced with is that I make heavy usage of MyEclipse as IDE and want to write a NetBeans Platform application.

******* The Solution / Feature Request

I would love to see Eclipse/MyEclipse support NetBeans Platform application development. So I could take advantage of - and yes it is - the only modular Swing based rich client platform currently available and still use the development environment I am familiar with.

Oracle's webcast on developer tools stresses the idea of choice. I guess that an Eclipse based IDE supporting NBP application development would actually be a great contribution to this idea.

******* The Conclusion

An Eclipse based IDE supporting NBP application development would be of benefit to all parties - at least from my point of view.

Eclipse developers could easily and streamlined develop NBP applications and those who are currently using NetBeans IDE are welcome to continue doing so. Overall, I guess, we would be left with more mature, stable and standardised Swing applications.

The reason why I post this on the MyEclipse forum is simply because both Genuitec and Oracle are strategic members of the Eclipse foundation while by now Oracle being the main sponsor of the NetBeans development team. Maybe Genuitec and Oracle could join resources on this feature request.

Further Genuitec has already proven expertise in bridging the NetBeans world and the Eclipse world when doing a tremendously great effort porting Matisse.

So why not, let’s bridge again ;-)

Reply with quote Back to top
tog

Dear MyEclipse Team!

It has been some time now that I have filed this feature request and so far I did not have any reason to bother the team any further with this issue. But just some minutes ago I found a comment on Geertjan's Blog here:

http://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/what_i_don_t_get
[Posted by guest on July 22, 2011 at 01:27 PM PDT]

indicating that this very feature request is under investigation by the MyEclipse team. The comment is supposed to be sourced by a MyEclipse team member.

Unfortunately I cannot verify that the comment has truly been written by a MyEclipse team member. So I wanted to kindly ask whether you could confirm or decline that the comment has been sourced by MyEclipse and consequently whether this freature request is actually being investigated.

A simple single line would be enough ...

support-scott

Thomas,

We took this idea under consideration but have decided that supporting Netbeans is too far out of alignment with our current product offerings and future strategies. As a result, we will not be supporting Netbeans in any way in the foreseeable future.

tog

Dear Scott,
support-scott wrote:
As a result, we will not be supporting Netbeans in any way in the foreseeable future.

Always a pleasure to here from you and once more thank you for a straight forward clarification and your efforts. A clear yes or no is always a tremendous help when making decisions and be sure that this fact will not be able to drive me away from MyEclipse.

Finally many thanks to the entire MyEclipse team.