facebook

src-1 Linked Folder appears automatically

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

ivo-k

Hi,

I’m linking some source code form a common project into my real web application project i’m working on actually. its working fine so far.

But from time to time a second linked folder named src-1 is created automatically by myeclipse. i can delete it, but it appears again and again and again…

Has anybody a tip how to stop this cumbersome behavior?

Thanks!
    Ivo

#310364 Reply

support-joy

Ivo,

I cannot replicate this at my end. Can you please provide more details. MyEclipse by itself cannot create a duplicate / new linked folder. Please check if there is a separate process, which is triggering this.
    Can you answer below queries which will help me understand the current environment you are on –
    1. Can you copy and paste your installation details. Open MyEclipse IDE, from menu options click on MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details.
    2. What is the version of MyEclipse you are using?
    3. How did you install ME? Meaning using all-in-one installer / pulse / archived update site on top of eclipse classic.
    4. Can you tell me how did you link your common project – source code into your web app? Do you notice the duplicate linked folder at the time of creation? If not, can you let me know the steps that results in duplicate linked folder? This will help me replicate this at my end.

#310365 Reply

ivo-k

Joy, unfortunately i found no process that creates the linked folder.

I used the all in one installer in an offline environment. please find my installation details as requested below. Currently I use version 8.5 but the problem occured in 6.5, too. My colleagues have the same issue.

I have a simple project named common that serves only as container (no builders). This contains a folder named src that contains common java classes.

In my real web app project this folder is linked via a path variable.
    – new folder
    – advanced | link to folder in the file system
    – variables… | srcCommon
    the linked resource is called ‘source’. (I renamed it from src to source, but it doesn’t help)

the src-1 does not appear right after creating the linked resource. i just tried it while writing this post. sometimes it took hours till the src-1 folder occurs and sometimes seconds.

I thought it would help to mark the linked folder as derived. but after some hours of developing the src-1 duplicate folder appeared again.

its a little bit mysterious what the creation of the folder is triggering. other linked folders are working fine.

maybe you have an idea, what the reason could be?

regards
    ivo

<pre>
    *** Date:
    Freitag, 6. August 2010 14:04 Uhr MESZ

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1.0
    Java version=1.6.0_13

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 8.5
    Build id: 8.5-20100319

*** Eclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 8.5
    Build id: 8.5-20100319

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -showsplash
    -launcher
    D:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 8.5\myeclipse.exe
    -name
    Myeclipse
    –launcher.library
    D:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 8.5\../Common/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.200.v20090519\eclipse_1206.dll
    -startup
    D:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 8.5\../Common/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
    -install
    D:/Program Files/Genuitec/MyEclipse 8.5
    -configuration
    configuration
    -vm
    D:/Program Files/Genuitec/Common/binary/com.sun.java.jdk.win32.x86_1.6.0.013/jre/bin/client/jvm.dll
    </pre>

#310495 Reply

support-joy

Ivo,

Thank you for your installation details. I am afraid, I cannot replicate the same at my end. I have tried out various cases. Here is one such sample –
    1. Create java project. Add a class – TestClass in the src folder with package name com.abc
    2. Create web project. Add above java project src as linked folder. By default, ME won’t allow src to be added as src folder already exists in the web project. Rename the java project src to source.
    3. Create a class – TestClass2 in the src folder of web project. Now web project contains 2 folders – src and source. From TestClass2, referred to TestClass
    4. Ran the application
    I am able to run the application without any issue. In case you have different set of steps, can you please list out your steps in detail which will help me replicate.

Also can you answer below queries –
    1. Open MyEclipse IDE, from menu options click on Help > About MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench > Installation Details > Configuration. Copy and paste com.genuitec.pulse.client.handshake.id located under *** System properties. In case you have installed ME 8.5 using pulse, let me know your registered pulse email-id.
    2. Clear your .log file located at [your workspace dir]/.metadata/.log. Open .log file, press [Ctrl + A] and [Delete]. Save the file. Now replicate above issue. Please copy and paste the contents of the .log here

#311401 Reply

DavidTaylor
    Participant

This is a longstanding issue I have seen since at least 2006. I just started a new project in MyEclipse 8.6 and am seeing the same issue. The problem seems to only impact MyEclipse web projects since I have many other Java projects in the same workspace with linked folders.

In the current situation I have the following layout:

src/<linked folder 1>
    src/<linked folder 2>
    src/<linked folder 3>

and I am seeing

src-1 — points to same contents as <linked folder 2>
    src-2 — points to same contents as <linked folder 3>

Very strange, but very reproducible in my experience. Please let me know if you need help reproducing this issue and I can provide detailed steps.

#311417 Reply

support-joy

David,

I am afraid I couldn’t reproduce this issue at my end. Can you please share detailed steps to reproduce the same?

#312015 Reply

bweinstein

I’m getting this as well. It is a problem since these redundant source folders seem to report as not sync’d with the file system. So global text searches always report that error.

I’m brand new to MyEclipse. My install is only 1 week old. I’m evaluating the move to MyEclipse from RAD for my client so I’m still on a 30 day trial.

I’ll try to see what causes it. I can delete them but they magically reappear. They are consistently related to linked source folders. The problem for me happens in a web project. There are two linked source folders and one linked normal folder for the Web Content.

#312030 Reply

DavidTaylor
    Participant

Sorry for the slow response. I have been very busy recently and have not had much time to work on reproducible steps.

What I can say is that the problem is sporadic and sometimes occurs and other times not. For example, I have a workspace I use daily with about 10 projects and about half of them exhibit this behavior sometimes. By sometimes I mean I can delete the phantom source folders and they may be gone for a day or two or for a few seconds (literally).

Here are a few clues that may help:

1) The problem happens in both MyEclipse Web and Java projects
    2) Only projects with linked source folders seem to be affected
    3) The number of phantom folders often seem to be one less that the real source folders
    4) The names are always serialized src-1, src-2, src-3….
    5) Looking at LinkedResources in .project (see below) I can see that the valid source folders have <locationURI> and the phantom folders have <location> with an absolute file system path. It appears that the process creating the folders is expanding the locationURI.

Hope this helps.

<linkedResources>
        <link>
          <name>src-1</name>
          <type>2</type>
          <location>C:/eXtensia/Gateway/gateway-webapp/source/config</location>
        </link>
        <link>
          <name>src-2</name>
          <type>2</type>
          <location>C:/eXtensia/Gateway/gateway-webapp/source/java</location>
        </link>
        <link>
          <name>src/config</name>
          <type>2</type>
          <locationURI>ExternalProjects/gateway-webapp/source/config</locationURI>
        </link>
        <link>
          <name>src/java</name>
          <type>2</type>
          <locationURI>ExternalProjects/gateway-webapp/source/java</locationURI>
        </link>
      </linkedResources>
    #312036 Reply

DavidTaylor
    Participant

Quick update:

I found a quick hack to keep the src-1, src-2,… folders from showing in Eclipse. Editing the .project file and setting the name of the phantom folders to empty makes them disappear (at least visually) and not get automatically recreated. I am not sure what other impacts this may have, but it is helping maintain sanity at the moment.

<link>
    <name></name> <!– Changed from src-1 to empty –>
    <type>2</type>
    <location>C:/gateway/gateway-webapp/source/config</location>
    </link>

I also came across another Eclipse related issue that seems somewhat similar. Perhaps there is some correlation. At the very least both issues seem to irritate developers 😉

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Troubles-with-Eclipse-JDE-Plugin/m-p/30331

#312060 Reply

bweinstein

Here’s another tidbit. I have one WAR not exhibiting the problem and one WAR that is. The .project file for the problem WAR has one additional thing other than the links.

com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.DeploymentBuilder
    com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.deploymentnature

The WAR that is not causing problem has yet to be deployed to Websphere.

#312065 Reply

bweinstein

Well the problem just started on the war that had yet to be deployed. It still has not been deployed nor does it have that facet or builder. 🙁

The only thing I did to that project was change some files outside of eclipse and then do a refresh. Till that point that project had been clean of this problem for many days.

#313295 Reply

obj63mc

I am also seeing this in my projects, it is only when I build the projects though that the new folders apear. I used to be running MyEclipse 6.0 and did not have this issue.

Any ideas on how to resolve this from auto generating?

#316511 Reply

Edward Kuns
    Participant

Just to pile on, I’ve been seeing this for quite a while. It’s really irritating. As with others, I only see it in projects that have linked resources. I haven’t tried the workaround above. David, did that make the problem stay away for the long term and without any obvious side effect?

#316566 Reply

Brian Fernandes

ekuns,

We are looking into this issue now, I have a few questions:
    1) If you delete the src folder, can you think of any specific action that causes it to reappear? i.e. try a clean build of the project or deployment.

2) Can you paste the contents of your .project file and .classpath files here – or send it to support@genuitec.com ATTN Brian with a link to this thread.

3) What version of MyEclipse are you using (see Help > About for the Build-id).

4) What are the contents of the source folder – is it empty? (try refreshing the folder)

5) Is this a Maven project or just a regular web project?

#316634 Reply

Edward Kuns
    Participant

@Support-Brian wrote:

1) If you delete the src folder, can you think of any specific action that causes it to reappear? i.e. try a clean build of the project or deployment.

I have the project set to auto-rebuild. There is no obvious action that causes the bogus entries to show up.

@Support-Brian wrote:

2) Can you paste the contents of your .project file and .classpath files here – or send it to …

Email to be sent soon. I also included the contents of .settings (although those files probably don’t matter) plus .myumldata and .mystrutsdata and .mymetadata. I am not using UML so I don’t know what caused that file to show up. The .myeclipse folder is empty.

@Support-Brian wrote:

3) What version of MyEclipse are you using (see Help > About for the Build-id).

Version: 8.6.1
    Build id: 8.6.1-20101117

But I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this with earlier releases. Also, it’s possible that I only see this in projects with MULTIPLE linked folders. I don’t remember ever seeing this occur in a project with just one linked folder.

@Support-Brian wrote:

4) What are the contents of the source folder – is it empty? (try refreshing the folder)

The bogus src, src-3, etc folders are copies of the existing linked source folders when I look at them in MyEclipse.

@Support-Brian wrote:

5) Is this a Maven project or just a regular web project?

This is a regular project. So far I haven’t used Maven. The project does use Struts. If I right click on the project, bring up properties, and go to MyEclipse, only Web, Javascript, and Struts are not greyed out. J2EE 1.4. Deployment Overview is empty.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: src-1 Linked Folder appears automatically

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in