facebook

MyEclipse 9 horribly slow when editing XHTML/XML/JS

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

ktwo

Hi, im experiencing severe problems after updating from MyEclipse 8 to 9 .. (however i did a clean installation of OS+MyEc (no traces of 8) and did a full check-out of the projects, so i can assure it is not a problem of old things. (Ive tried running 32- and 64-bit MyEclipse

the Workspace has the following:
    -EARs (many)
    -Web Project (War) many, containing 100+ XHTML/JSPs/JS
    -EJB Projects, Java Projects

We are talking about a workspace size of 5GB.

However with MyEclipse8 it wasnt THAT slow. Ive disabled ALL validation (at least ive tried) all warnings are gone, but when i open an XHTML (with any editor other than text – here it works (but has no syntax highlighting, thats all i need, not the whole validation crap ) the file needs 30 SEC to load, and each letter typed about 5SEC (Workstation: quadcore,4g ram , win7 64-bit)

Is there anything i can do?

#317057 Reply

support-joy

ktwo,

Sorry to hear you are running into these issues. I would recommend you go through this FAQ on troubleshooting memory and performance issues – https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/troubleshooting-memory-amp-performance-issues/&highlight=

#317081 Reply

m.zahl
    Participant

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problems. It’s so slow, that I have to work with 8.6 again. Version 9 is a NoGo !!!

I already have looked at the troubleshooting post, without success.
    Even if I only open one small xhtml file the cursor is frozen and you can’t klick inside the window.

My configuration is:
    -vmargs
    -Xmx1024m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
    -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=256m

Im working with a Windows 7 64bit System with 4GB of memory.

#317094 Reply

support-joy

m.zahl,

Sorry to hear you are running into this issue. You mention you are on Windows 7 64 bits. Could you please confirm how did you install ME? Using all-in-one installer / pulse / archived update site on top of eclipse classic? Also did you use the 32-bit installer / 64-bit? Please copy and paste your installation details here. Refer – https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/troubleshooting-how-to-view-the-installation-details/&highlight=&sid=d9cd03b196ac1e6f196d758c8914d12a

I would recommend you to try -clean, refer – https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/troubleshoot-using-the-clean-command-line-argument/
    and also switch to a new workspace. Let me know how this works for you.

Best.

#317128 Reply

ktwo

hi, can you please stop saying always the same thing? ive installed ME9 via the full installer – tried 32-bit and 64-bit – BOTH are having the same problem. cleaned a thousand times, new workspace created, manually re-checked-out all projects (as soon i add a web project ALL X/H/TML fiels are getting painfully slow)

then ive also installed ME8.6.1 as well – using the VERY SAME workspace there are 0,000000 problems. everything works fine .. so it the issues MUST lie in ME9 – Something big has changed, but i cant find out what.. it could have to to do something with “Faceting” i never saw that one…

so. WHAT are actually the big differences between Me8 and 9?

#317131 Reply

m.zahl
    Participant

Hi,

I absolutely agree with ktwo !
    I also have installed ME9 by the full installer. I only installed the 64bit version. Cleaning the projects doesn’t had any positive effect.

I already switched off any validation including the JavaScript-validation.
    The problems occur especially using the JSP-editor for editing xhtml-files.

#317174 Reply

Brian Fernandes

ktwo, m.zahl,

I believe the issue you are experiencing is the JS validation problem described in the Troubleshooting post that Joy mentioned above: https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/troubleshooting-memory-amp-performance-issues/

We are working on releasing MyEclipse 9.0.1 towards the end of this week which will have these memory issues fixed and an ability to permanently turn off some of the performance intensive JS features. I would like to make sure you followed this particular step in the troubleshooting document, especially since ktwo mentioned that he sees the problem as soon as he imports a web project AND has a large number of resources in a very large workspace

Go to Project Properties > MyEclipse > JavaScript > Include Path and the Source tab. Then select the Excluded node and click Edit. In the resulting dialog, click Add in the Exclusion patterns section and type in “WebRoot/**” (you will need to change this if your WebRoot folder is differently named). This will prevent the JavaScript indexer from running for all resources under your project’s WebRoot folder. Based on how your project is structured, you may want to exclude different folders and can use wildcards as required.

There are further changes in 9.0.1 in this department and if either of you have time to spare I would like to send you a pre-release version of 9.0.1 to ensure that it does indeed address your problems; before we release it in public. If interested, please write to support@genuitec.com ATTN Brian with a link to this thread for tracking purposes.

#317180 Reply

m.zahl
    Participant

Hi all,

I exactly have done this fix without success !!
    Even with this workaround I cannot open an xhtml-file. I directly see the hourglass without editing a single line !
    There must be another problem inside the jsp-editor.

Working with non web projects has also a good performance. Only the jsp-editor can’t be used.

#317360 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Martin,

Sorry for the delay but I replied to your email with instructions on how to get our preprelease for testing. We needed a little additional time to make more changes.

ktwo,

I would appreciate it if you could test this release too, please write in to support@genuitec.com ATTN Brian with a link to this thread if you can make the time. If the issue is solved, we can go ahead with this release. If not, we need to work on this further before a public release.

#317436 Reply

wciesiel

You gotta be kidding us… I’ve justed pushed for purchase of several licenses of MyEclipse for the important project we’re trying to launch into development and it seems like there is something seriously broken with XHTML editors…. It’s freezing the whole IDE for any time from 20 sec to minutes… Even on a simple XHTML file with all Javascript validataion turned off. What the heck??

#317445 Reply

Brian Fernandes

wciesiel,

With Martin’s help we were able to identify a problem in our Spring tooling, this was causing the problem for him. Are you projects Spring projects? Are you having a problem only with the XHTML editor or other editors too? If you would like to assist with the testing, please write in to support@genuitec.com with a link to this thread.

Rest assured we are working on fixing these issues before the next release and working towards releasing that asap.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

#317493 Reply

wciesiel

Hi,

on our side the problem is with XHTML editor but I cannot pinpoint what’s causing it exactly… Our project consist of several maven-built modules (=eclipse projects) and one web-app module/project dependent on all of those modules.

Projects are using Spring (3.0.x) but we have NOT yet enabled spring-support in those projects within MyEclipse. And now the funny part – XHTML editor works fine if we detach all dependent projects from web-app classpath. If I start attaching projects back – it suddenly breakes (IDE freezes on any operation – addign new line, calling for code-assist etc). The “funny” part is that neither of our sub-projects is the culprit itself. Let’s say we have modules/projects A to F and then the W – the webapp.

I start attaching modules A-F to W.
    A attached – everything works OK
    B attached – everything works OK
    C attached – everything works OK (W depends now on A,B and C)
    D attached – editor breaks. So I detach D, detach C, attach D back – editor works again… etc.

It seems like after reaching certain amount of dependant projects kills the XHTML editor somehow… I’ll try to produce the sample project structure to share with you.

#317503 Reply

Brian Fernandes

wciesiel,

Thanks, this is important information. I have a few questions:

1) Can you confirm that none of your module projects have the Spring nature? You can check this by viewing the .project file and looking for “<nature>com.genuitec.eclipse.springframework.springnature</nature>”

2) When you get to the problematic state, if you work with an XHTML editor in a project that is *not* attached – like a new dummy web project X that you create, is that slow too or is it only W? Within W itself, is the JSP editor fine or is that slow as well?

3) If you could simply paste the entire .project file for any of your module projects here, that will help.

4) Are your module projects large? Do they have many resources?

#317513 Reply

wciesiel

I’ve packed my project stripped of anything here: http://db.tt/7gULAcU

You can build it with maven 3 – just clean install eclipse:eclipse, nothing fancy. When you import those modules into MyEclipse you’ll find MyXhtml.xhtml file in the r3-web-client module/project. Even with such a stripped modules (no java code, just dependency libs) we’re having this issue…

#317514 Reply

wciesiel

I have replicated this problem on two Win7 machines, both 32 bit and 64 bit (with both 32 and 64 bit version of MyEclipse on the later).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse 9 horribly slow when editing XHTML/XML/JS

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in