MyEclipse Forums
This thread has been locked & this forum has been archived.
Please post new topics to General Development
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Marcogent
Post subject: Javascript debugging on Mac  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2006 - 02:54 PM

May I please ask for clarification?

On the "MyEclipse 5.0 GA is now available for Download announcement" on Aug 07, 2006 - 06:30 AM, it states:

Quote:
AJAX/Web 2.0 tool extensions
-Instant-on JavaScript Debugging, extending the integrated MyEclipse local JavaScript debugger to allow the user to debug remote JavaScript applications
-Full Linux and Mac support

I am using MyEclipse 5.0.0 for evaluation on Mac OS 10.4.6 and am going through the JavaScript tutorial. When I try to set a breakpoint within the <script> tags, I get:

Quote:
Cannot add breakpoint!
[The Javascript debugger is only available in Windows and Linux of this version of MyEclipse]

Have I miseed a caveat? In as much as possible, could you please reply in an easy to understand way as I am still a newbie.

Sorry about the long Configuration details below.

BTW, this is my first foray into Eclipse and I am totally impressed. I'm quite happy to find MyEclipse as it is focused on the tasks I need to accomplish. Thank you for a great product!

Cheers!

<SNIP, please use MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Details in the future>

Reply with quote Back to top
support-rkalla
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 20, 2006 - 05:42 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

I am only seeing this:
Quote:

New fully integrated client-side JavaScript Debugger (Windows Only) with ability to Set and step through (into, over and to end) JavaScript breakpoints.

Can you clarify where you saw the notice about Linux and Mac support specifically for the AJAX tools? That might have been a mistake.

RealOps
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2006 - 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

According to the MyEclipse documentation, Javascript Debugging is not currently supported on Mac. I discovered this when I investigated upgrading my license to Professional rather than Standard. I lost interest in upgrading when I saw the following statement in the MyEclipse Learning Center article " MyEclipse JavaScript Development and Debugging Quickstart," section "3. Introduction":

"Note-2: Please familiarize yourself with the known limitations of the MyEclipse JavaScript development tools. Of special note JavaScript debugging in MyEclipse 5.0 GA is only supported on the Windows an Linux platforms. Mac support is still under development."

I have found this article two ways:
1) When investigating the Javascript Debugging feature mentioned in the MyEclipse Professional features when looking in to upgrading my license
2) In the Help documentation, after doing a search for "Javascript"

Riyad, is Javascript debugging supported for Mac (the article is incorrect), or not? If it is supported, I would like to try it out before upgrading my license. I have a Standard license that expires in a month. Would it be possible to get a trial Professional license to use for the remainder of my current subscription?

Thanks,
Scott Moore

support-rkalla
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2006 - 07:02 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Scott,
The documentation is correct, JavaScript debugging is still Windows/Linux only at this time. Our JS Debugger team wants to get it done for the next release after 5.1, but it's ultimately up to management to prioritize that work to get done. It's always an issue of trade offs... if we add that, no one gets Facelets support... or if we add Facelets support then no one gets Maven support and so on.

Sorry about that hickup, we do appreciate you investigating upgrading to a Pro subscription and I hate telling people bad news when they need a feature :(

kenjo1
Post subject: Javascript debugging supported in Mac OS X Lion?  PostPosted: Mar 02, 2012 - 05:08 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Is it still true that Javascript debugging is NOT supported on a Mac?

I have downloaded a trial version of MyEclipse (v10.0.0) and am running it on my iMac (Mac OS X Lion). I'm evaluating it and like it so far.

I downloaded and imported the Javascript tutorial (JS_Mario) into MyEclipse and set a breakpoint as directed in the tutorial. When I attempt to launch debug on the runmario.html file (right-click: "Debug_As->Javascript Application"), I receive the following modal window:

"The Javascript debugger is only available for Windows 32, Linux, and Mac OS X".

I'm confused as I'm running on a Mac. So what else do I need to do??

Thank you in advance.

Ken

support-tony
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Ken,

I assume you have selected one of the Cocoa install options, when installing MyEclipse. I'm afraid that the Javascript debugging feature is only available in Carbon installs. This is documented in the release notes that are available in the help. The good news is that you can install Carbon on your Mac. You can install the Carbon version alongside the Cocoa version, if you want to try out both, or you can first (or later) uninstall the Cocoa version.

Note that the visual designers are also only currently available on the Carbon install and need to have the following line added to the end of the myeclipse.ini file:
Code:
-Dmac.experimental=true

To locate the myeclipse.ini file, check out this FAQ: Where are the MyEclipse files and folders?

Please let us know if this works for you.

kenjo1
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2012 - 05:58 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Thanks Tony. I've switched to Carbon and added the experimental flag. Thanks again for the quick response.

Ken

support-tony
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Ken,

No problem. I'm glad it's working out. Let us know if you have more questions.

kobben
Post subject: error in installer  PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 - 03:34 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

I found this therad and now managed to get JS debugging running on MacOSX (in Carbon version). Note however, that in the installer's options , ALL 3 option (Carbon 32, Cocoa 32 and Cocao 64 bit) still are quoted to have NO JS debugiing...

Barend Köbben

support-tony
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2012 - 08:57 AM

kobben,

The notes that appear when hovering over the three install options are correct; they all mention that Javascript debugging is not available for Cocoa installs. Due to technical issues, it was only possible to make the note applicable to the architecture being hovered over (64 bit or 32 bit), so the wording is more general in the 32 bit. Javascript debugging is available for Carbon installs and the note wording implies that.

Sorry for the confusion but I'm glad this thread helped you solve a problem.

ddolinar
Post subject: Any update on 64-bit javascript debugging on a mac?  PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 - 03:55 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tony,

You mention that javascript debugging is available on the carbon (32-bit) install of myeclipse. That's great to hear, however for those of us who need to run 64-bit it's a real problem as there is no 64-bit carbon support.

Is there any news on when there will be cocoa javascript debugging? It appears to have been ages since they first looked into it (2006). Is the team still looking into it?

-- One who could really use 64-bit javascript debugging.

support-tony
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 - 09:33 AM

ddolinar,

I'm afraid that we are still looking for a good solution for Cocoa and can't give you any timeline on when that might be available.

Sorry.

Jump to: