MyEclipse Forums
This thread has been locked & this forum has been archived.
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VJC
Post subject: Why no torent?  PostPosted: Feb 06, 2006 - 10:38 PM

Hi, I'm new to myEclipse, and I have to use it at university, but it's a largedownload at home, so why is there no torrent to speed up the download? Just a suggestion. Thanks
Vijay. :)

Reply with quote Back to top
support-greg
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2006 - 11:21 PM

We considered doing a torrent but we decided to juse add additional dedicated download servers to make sure we could handle all the download requests. Let us know if you are seeing slow downloads from our download servers. Something may be wrong on our end.

Thanks for your support.

VJC
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 07, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
et us know if you are seeing slow downloads from our download servers.
That's really why I posted last nite (I'm in the UK), it took me 3hrs to download (from aroung 8pm - 11pm), Eclipse itself only took 20mins using their torrent. I'm on a 512k connection so I felt the download was excessively long, thanks for the quick reply. Vijay.

support-scott
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 07, 2006 - 10:01 PM

Vijay,

That's an interesting datapoint for us. We test download speed regularly from locations in the US and they are typically extremely fast. However, it appears there may be some bottlenecks going overseas if that is the speed you're seeing locally. We'll look into the torrent idea a bit more for our upcoming releases. Thanks for the feedback.

qasim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2006 - 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I am downloading from the UK and the download speeds are terrible.

Quite frankly I hate downloading each new version of MyEclipse just because the download speeds are so poor.

I am achieving about 15k/sec on 8Meg line and I can achieve 300k/sec from most download sites.

Great product, please sort out the delivery mechanism

support-scott
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2006 - 10:26 PM

That's really peculiar. In the US I'm on an 8MB line as well and am seeing over 500KB/sec even at peak load times. I don't know why the rates would vary so much overseas. Perhaps others redirect to overseas mirrors or something.

stephmir
Post subject: Downloading from the Veterans Admin.  PostPosted: Sep 24, 2007 - 07:59 PM

All sites/ mirrors I've tried are doing the same thing (starts off at about 40K/s...then trickles down to about less than 2k/s). I can download from Dell Support and HP to here without any problems. I was told by our network admin that we here at the Austin VA only have 1 proxy and it is not configurable or switchable. I was wondering if there is an alternate place to download from, maybe FTP?

bean88
Post subject: RE: Downloading from the Veterans Admin.  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2008 - 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

My download speed today (2.1 KB/s) is very slow compared to others sites (88KB/s). Are you throttling bandwidth?

I loaded up and installed using Pulse. Transfer was faster. I don't like Pulse much though. Having a crippled before you buy plugin manager that has built in advertisements for itself isn't what I'd consider free software.

Please look into the problem with downloads.

bean88
Post subject: RE: Downloading from the Veterans Admin.  PostPosted: Aug 05, 2008 - 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sorry, that should be ~880 KB/s above.

riwright
Post subject: RE: Downloading from the Veterans Admin.  PostPosted: Jan 14, 2010 - 07:48 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

I am seeing download speeds 40KB/Sec over a 6MB/Sec cable modem. Download speeds for other sites are fine. I had to leave the download of the new version running overnight and when I came back it had errored out and would not resume. Now I have started another 5 hour download. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

support-joy
Post subject: RE: Downloading from the Veterans Admin.  PostPosted: Jan 18, 2010 - 08:57 AM
Registered Member
Registered Member

riwright,

If you don't want to download the installers afresh. Pulse is the answer to your problem, it will pick-up download from the place it error-ed out and also resolve any dependency. To use pulse, please follow the below mentioned -
1. Open pulse. If you don't have pulse download the same from www.poweredbypulse.com
2. Login to pulse. In case you don't have a pulse login, you can also login anonymously.
3. Choose your base eclipse from the left top hand corner dropdown. If you are trying to download ME 6.6 - choose "Eclipse-Europa", for ME 7.x - choose "Eclipse - Ganymede", for ME 8.x - choose "Eclipse - Galileo"
4. This will redirect you to the explorer. Under "My Profiles", it will list you all your installed MyEclipse profiles. Right click on the same - "MyEclipse x.x" and from the context menu click on [Re-install and run]. This will open a wizard which will guide you through the rest of the steps.
5. In case "My Profiles" doesn't list anything, click on Ready to use Profiles > Popular. Choose your MyEclipse version. Right click on the same, and from the context menu click on [Install and run]. This will open a wizard which will guide you through the rest of the steps.
Let me know how this works for you.

Jump to: