MyEclipse Forums
This thread has been locked & this forum has been archived.
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vict0r
Post subject: Subject of posts fits in preview,but truncated after posting  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2007 - 02:25 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Original subject:
"Subject of posts fits in preview,but truncated after posting"

Reply with quote Back to top
vict0r
Post subject: Re: Subject of posts fits in preview,but truncated after pos  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2007 - 02:29 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Hmm, in this forum it fits, but in other of your forums it doesn't, e.g.
http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-19573.html

And I don't mean the truncation because of adding the prefix "Re: ", like for this reply.

vict0r
Post subject: Post subject with one ", two ", three ", four  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2007 - 02:51 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post subject with one ", two ", three ", four ", five ".

Heh, it seems to me that post subjects containing the character " are stronger truncated because of the HTML encoding of ". Suggestion: catch/show this truncation already in edit/preview and everybody is happy.

support-rkalla
Post subject: RE: Post subject with one ", two ", three ",  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2007 - 04:05 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

vict0r,I believe subject categories are capped actually at 65 characters, and there is JavaScript on the posting pages that should stop typing after that point. But if you have JS turned off or blocked, you wouldn't see that protection :(

vict0r
Post subject: Re: RE: Post subject with one ", two ", three &quo  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2007 - 04:28 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

support-rkalla wrote:
vict0r,I believe subject categories are capped actually at 65 characters, and there is JavaScript on the posting pages that should stop typing after that point. But if you have JS turned off or blocked, you wouldn't see that protection :(

Hi Riyad,

I think you misunderstood me. The JS protection works fine. The " characters seem to get expanded to HTML encoding, so the character length of the subject string is longer than the visible length.
Please try yourself to create a post with subject like {Post subject with one ", two ", three ", four ", five ". } The text between {} is exactly 56 characters long, but it will get truncated.

The second issue is that with each reply a additional prefix "Re: " is added, thus reducing again the readable string, but that's ... acceptable.

vict0r
Post subject: Re: RE: Post subject with one ", two ", three &  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2007 - 04:35 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

I you don't believe me then please look exactly at the truncated subject of my last reply: {Re: RE: Post subject with one ", two ", three &quo}. The >>>&quot;<<< HTML entity was truncated itself, and thus revealed.

support-rkalla
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Post subject with one ", two ", three  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2007 - 05:55 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Victor,
I see the problem now, thanks for clarifying. I will let the web team know, but this is very low priority behind some other work they have to get done.

Jump to: