MyEclipse Forums
This thread has been locked & this forum has been archived.
Please post new topics to General Development
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rickcr
Post subject: next editor key functionality not working on linux  PostPosted: Apr 17, 2008 - 08:50 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

On Linux (Suse10.3) I can not use ctrl-f6 to go to "next editor." It works fine on eclipse in windows (not sure about myeclipse there.)

I really have to have this functionality working so I hope it's easy to resolve. I often toggle between two files and having this really helps (I often rebind it to ctrl-tab as well.)

Can someone please confirm whether this is a bug?

Reply with quote Back to top
support-rkalla
Post subject: RE: next editor key functionality not working on linux  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2008 - 05:59 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

rickcr,
Have you confirm this key mapping is set correctly under Window > Prefs > General > Keys?

rickcr
Post subject: RE: next editor key functionality not working on linux  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2008 - 06:16 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sorry, I feel dumb now... it looks like it's an issue with xfce destkop. ctrl-f6 is working fine in gnome and kde. I figured xfce would just use my gnome settings for keybindings so figured it would have been messed up in gnome as well. I'll investigate more the keybindings in xfce to see what's going on. I figured application keybindings would always take preference over desktop manager settings, but I guess that isn't the case? I'll see what I turn up.

support-rkalla
Post subject: RE: next editor key functionality not working on linux  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2008 - 06:31 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

No worries, let us know incase others find a similar issue.

rickcr
Post subject: RE: next editor key functionality not working on linux  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2008 - 07:16 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Yea that was it. Stupid xfce keybinding to the workspace desktop. Wish there was a way now to delete this post I started:)

support-rkalla
Post subject: RE: next editor key functionality not working on linux  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2008 - 08:09 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

it's actually useful information, if someone else googles for "xfce myeclipse keybinding" or something like that, you never know, you might save someone a lot of time ;)

typek_pb
Post subject: Re: RE: next editor key functionality not working on linux  PostPosted: Oct 24, 2012 - 11:51 AM

this forum thread seem to be quite old one, but I'm facing the same issue now.
I'm also using eclipse in Xfce.
So, were you able to resolve the problem? If so, how?
Thanks.

rickcr wrote:
Sorry, I feel dumb now... it looks like it's an issue with xfce destkop. ctrl-f6 is working fine in gnome and kde. I figured xfce would just use my gnome settings for keybindings so figured it would have been messed up in gnome as well. I'll investigate more the keybindings in xfce to see what's going on. I figured application keybindings would always take preference over desktop manager settings, but I guess that isn't the case? I'll see what I turn up.

support-tony
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 - 08:08 AM

typek_pb,

I'm sorry you're seeing this issue. However, there doesn't seem to be anything we can do to get Xfce to forward the Ctrl+F6 key combination to the application, instead of processing it in the Xfce window manager. Ctrl+Fn causes a switch to Xfce workspace n. It's quite possible that you don't have six or more Xfce workspaces but that doesn't avoid Xfce consuming the key combination. I've tried removing the Ctrl+F6 setting with the Xfce settings application for the window manager but it didn't help. I tried removing the key binding from the Xfce system-wide key bindings file but that didn't help either.

You might get some solution if you ask on an Xfce or Xubuntu forum. However, there are a couple of workarounds you could try.

1. Go to Window->Preferences->General->Keys. Search for the Next Editor command, select it, change the Binding and click Apply. To change the binding, you have to actually press the keys you want to use as the binding (like Ctrl-Alt-[, for example). This is an eclipse preference page, not a specific MyEclipse preference page.
  2. Use the key binding for Previous Editor instead. Shift-Ctrl-F6 is the default. This will just go through the editors in reverse order but might suit you.

Please let us know if this helps.

typek_pb
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 - 12:10 PM

thanks for feedback.

I have in the meantime submitted bug report to Xfce: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9478

support-tony
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 - 10:56 PM

Peter,

I hope the bug report gets some action. Thanks for letting us know.

typek_pb
Post subject: workaround found!  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm glad to inform you, that there is a workaround for the problem!

I've included it in the official xfce bug report as well. For those interested, see the blog entry I've written about the way I got it solved.

support-tony
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 28, 2013 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for posting this workaround, Peter. Any other users facing this problem will find it useful.

Jump to: