MyEclipse Forums
This thread has been locked & this forum has been archived.
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gcruscoe
Post subject: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2008 - 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I could not find the best place for this comment. I am a Linux user and I have had many subscriptions to MyEclipse and persuaded many other Linux users to subscribe to MyEclipse.

I am terribly disappointed that you have chosen a webinar format that is not available for Linux. This really shows that you do not care for that portion of your customer base. I do not think I can recommend you anymore until you do.

If there is a better place to post this, please move it. Everyone needs to know that you are selling products for Linux and not offering them all of the benefits of their subscriptions.

Sincerely,
Geoff

Reply with quote Back to top
support-rkalla
Post subject: RE: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Aug 26, 2008 - 09:04 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Geoff,

Sorry for the trouble, the problem is the proprietary codec used to encode the recordings of our webinars from Citrix (GoToWebinar software). The software only supports the proprietary Windows/Mac codec or it supports writing out a WMV file, unfortunately it writes the WMV file out at such a low quality that it's almost unwatchable, so we are forced to use the proprietary codec which I have been unsuccessful at converting to other formats unfortunately.

I'm really sorry to hear that we will loose you as a customer due to this limitation, we aren't fond of the limitation either as a few of our developers are on Linux, but for the moment we are reliant on the GoToWebinar software to host our webinars, so there isn't a whole lot we can do right now.

In the future we might evaluate other software for the webinars, but that is unfortunately not up to me.

markw21
Post subject: RE: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2009 - 01:40 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Hi there,

I have found that when I download the Webinar, the G2M3 codec is not available to Mac users either ?

I have flip4Mac which allows me to run WMV files in quicktime, but there is no G2M3 codec for flip4Mac.

Have any other Mac users managed to playback a recorded and downloaded Webinar?
If so how have you done this.

Many thanks

Mark

markw21
Post subject: RE: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2009 - 09:07 AM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Acrobat Connect is light-years better

rgunn
Post subject: RE: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 - 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

VLC plays these files on the mac without problems....

markw21
Post subject: Re: RE: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Aug 13, 2009 - 11:45 AM
Registered Member
Registered Member

rgunn wrote:
VLC plays these files on the mac without problems....

hi rgunn

----------------------------------------------------------------
I get error saying (for MyEclipse-andMaven.wmv)

No suitable decoder module
VLC does not support the audio or video format "G2M3"
Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I get error saying (for Welcome_to_MyEclipse.wmv)

No suitable decoder module
VLC does not support the audio or video format "MSS2"
Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

VLC version - 1.0.1 Goldeneye (Intel 32 bit)
Mac OS X 10.5.8

How do you get these files to work ?

Many thanks

Mark

Gears3
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 - 01:34 PM

Will this issue never go away?

Follow the instructions here to get full use of the g2m3 codec video:

http://onlinemeeting.lefora.com/2009/12/08/g2m3-codec-download

markw21
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 - 09:01 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Gears3,

Thanks, but I have already installed the flip 4 mac tools on my Mac, and it still not working.

When I try and play the downloaded file in VLC it still says I have to get the g2m3 codec, which I cannot get if I am on Mac ?
the Gotomeeting website, states.

Installing Windows Media Components for QuickTime will allow you to watch recorded meetings on your Mac without subscribing to GoToMeeting. You will still need these meetings to be transcoded to Windows Media Format.

i.e. the download has to be converted to Windows media format for it to work on Mac.

If someone has got this working on Mac, can you please give me the step by step instructions for doing this.

Thanks

Mark

markw21
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Webinars are Windows and MAC only  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2010 - 09:03 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Hi Gears,

re-reading the link in your post it says that I have to download g2m3 codec, find a windows machine, convert to divx, then I can play on my Mac ?

Is this the only solution ... Really ?

As I don't have a windows machine, this really isn't possible.

R

Mark

Jump to: