MyEclipse Forums
This thread has been locked & this forum has been archived.
Please post new topics to General Development
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
steve@bfdp
Post subject: Default value for Font property  PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 - 10:55 PM
Registered Member
Registered Member

Overall, the font property handling is fine. There is one aspect that could use some enhancing.

When I add a component, the font defaults to some value, currently Lucida Grande Plain 11. I certainly don't want to use that font, so I spent a lot of time figuring out everything to do with fonts, etc.

What I finally realized is that the default value displayed is not included in the code generated. In effect, the default value is blank or null, but the property sheet displays an arbitrary value as a place-holder. If I leave it alone, no font code is generated, and the font displayed by the app is whatever the theme dictates.

I cannot blank out the font property or type null in its place, so if I set the font, I can't reset it. What I can do is click on the ellipsis, select a different editor, such as use an existing component, select a value, click on the ellipsis again, set the editor back to the default editor, and then click OK without selecting anything. The property sheet then shows "null". This effectively resets the font property, but the display is different (and actually more appropriate).

Ideally, the property sheet value for font should default to blank or null. If I select a font, it should be able to blank out the property or set it to "null".

If this could be included as an enhancement, it would remove some confusion and make things easier. This is a tricky part of Java as it is; having the IDE display a fake value makes it even harder.

Thanks...

P.S. Matisse is a lifesaver, and it is getting progressively better.

Reply with quote Back to top
steve@bfdp
Post subject: RE: Default value for Font property  PostPosted: Dec 30, 2008 - 12:50 AM
Registered Member
Registered Member

I'm embarrassed. I realize that the default font editor dialog often displays a reset to default, which is a lot better than select a different editor...

Still, displaying blank or null would be a lot better than an arbitrary font...

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: