MyEclipse Forums
This thread has been locked & this forum has been archived.
Please post new topics to Java EE Development (EJB, JSP, Struts, XDoclet, etc.)
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kentucky_b
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2009 - 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thanks; I was confused that the base and the home were not the same. I still can't access a servlet that I am calling from the action tag in an html page. I'm not sure what the problem can be now.

Reply with quote Back to top
kentucky_b
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 - 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Please see a new topic I have posted; I think it might have to do with the values for home and base as I am using the wrong web.xml file i think. I think this is why I can not deliver the servlet. I am using the Kick Start book by Valcarcel. I think I am following the steps correctly there.
My context root is "/MyProject". When I look at the properties for MyProject, the project References tab has a Servers project checked. The only server there is Tomcat v6.0 Server at localhost hiwhc has it's own web.xml. Should this project not be checked?

I started out with a separate install of Tomcat; the I decided to use the embedded Tomcat v6.0 server. Perhaps I have confused myself with all this?

kentucky_b
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 - 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I do have catalina_home and catalina_base clear in my mind now; however, I still have not found where the embedded tomcat server is doing any logging after adding the two VM arguments as suggested above. Am I still missing something?

ernestz
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2009 - 01:50 PM

If the VM arguments were added correctly, the logs will be in the path specified as "${catalina.base}/logs".

kentucky_b
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2009 - 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Well, the puzzle continues then.

VM arguments:
-D catalina.home= C:/Java/JavaSource/plugins/com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.myeclipse_6.5.0.zmyeclipse650200806/tomcat
-D catalina.base = C:/development/.metadata/.plugins/com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.myeclipse/tomcat

However, there are no log files at : C:\development\.metadata\.plugins\com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.myeclipse\tomcat\logs

ernestz
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2009 - 11:10 PM

What about the VM arguments for "java.util.logging.manager" and "java.util.logging.config.file" I pointed out in post http://myeclipseide.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=102229#102229

kentucky_b
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2009 - 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Actually, the arguments in the other post are there:
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file="C:/development/.metadata/.plugins/com.genuitec.eclipse.easie.tomcat.myeclipse/tomcat /conf/logging.properties"

but for some reason, the catalina.home and catalina.base are not there! I copied those values from a text document I'm keeping with the information from my research.
Obviously, I messed up, and I apologize.

kentucky_b
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2009 - 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I reread my notes, and took a look at the Integrated Sandbox. The catlina-home and catlina-base are in the VM arguments for the launch configuration.
I shall be very familiar with all the configuration options and screens. I am gratefjul for your patience.

javaboy88
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'm experiencing the same problem (finding the server log for the embedded Tomcat 6) in MyEclipse 10.1, but there is no "launch" under Integrated Sandbox/MyEclipse Tomcat 6. So, I cannot follow the previous advice to discover the value(s) of "catalina.base" and/or "catalina.home". It would be helpful to see the log in order to debug some bean configuration issues in my app.

support-swapna
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 18, 2012 - 05:47 AM

javaboy88 ,

Here is an FAQ on how to enable integrated tomcat logging :
http://www.myeclipseide.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=28938

The catalina.txt will contain log messages(e.g. those output via the java.util.logging.Logger class).

Let us know how it works for you.

javaboy88
Post subject: Finding MyEclipse embedded Tomcat 6 server logfiles  PostPosted: Apr 24, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Okay, that's a good start. I have a server log now, but it only shows "info" messages. I really need "debug" level to see what is being configured.

support-swapna
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2012 - 06:41 AM

javaboy88,

Can you check if you can make changes to the logging.properties file as discussed in this thread ?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4119213/how-to-set-level-logging-to-debug-in-tomcat-6

Hope this helps.

Jump to: